Being in the blogging world, you already know how important is it to post high-quality, engaging content on your website. No matter when you started, you are investing your time & money to provide the audience with the best blog posts. And, you might be posting one blog per week, or two blogs, depending on your Abbotsford marketing goals.
What about the blog posts you posted months or years ago? No doubt, they aren’t new anymore. What to do with them? Should you delete them? Or is there any other alternative? Let’s discuss about proper blog maintenance, and making the most out of your old posts.
Why Care For Old Blog Posts?
Your blog may contain a lot of posts, including those generated a few weeks ago and the ones are written months and even years ago. Although your old posts may have performed very well at the time, today, it’s hard now. So, why not care for them? Truly, a poorly maintained blog can cost you a lot in terms of traffic, sales, etc. Here are some of the reasons why is it important to take care of your old posts-
- It isn’t good for SEO
- It damages the brand image
- It affects site traffic, sales, etc.
Thinking of Deleting…Wait!
So, you are worried about the old posts lying in your blog. You might be thinking of deleting them. But, this isn’t the solution. Remember, the old posts had helped you in a tough time by generating traffic. Here’s why your old content is an asset for your business-
You might have some posts, which have been widely shared on the internet. Thus, your site has a lot of incoming links from external sources. These links might be driving traffic. If you delete the posts, visitors can’t access them.
You have spent a lot of time and money on producing the old posts. Doing a small amount of editing effort can help you get a lot of visitors. After all, updating old content is better than producing new posts. This is why Abbotsford marketing companies focus on creating “evergreen” content.
What You Should Do?
The old posts aren’t good, yet they can benefit you. Yes, it’s true. You need to update them or recycle them. You can add some new content in posts that are a little outdated. Here’s the best ways to get most out of your old blog posts-
Refresh Old Posts
You should edit the content of old posts by adding some relevant information. Here’s how can you do that-
- Check references & links of public figures that might be outdated or changed the titles.
- Add references to the latest trends that can attract the audience
- Edit time-based statements (such as it has been 3 years…)
- Change the blog titles. However, you can add the word “updated” at the end (such as …trends [updated])
- Check the tenses in the sentences (change the present tense to past tense wherever required)
Don’t Forget SEO
- Add new keywords and phrases that can help you drive traffic from different online sources
- Update meta-titles, meta-descriptions, alt tags, and other on-page optimization parameters
- Add new images that are relevant to new as well as old content
- Do internal linking
Promote The Refreshed Stuff
Promoting your posts is important because, without it, you can’t get new visitors. Here’s how to do that-
- Repost the updated stuff. Don’t hesitate to share on your social media channels as you have added some useful information in them
- Link the refreshed posts to the most viewed, most recent posts. This way, the updated posts will show alongside the related content
- Check Google Analytics for strong performers, and share them. Don’t think that the posts are repetitive because many visitors might have not seen the original version
Tips For Proper Blog Maintenance
Managing your content efficiently is important. Here are some tips to reap maximum benefits from blogging-
Create Content For Long-Term
- try to create evergreen content, focusing on the core aspects. Write about subjects and trends that don’t have more chances of changing over time.
- Avoid writing about topics such as the latest fashion, music, etc. as they go from relevant to irrelevant over time.
- Focus on absolute references. For example, August of 2019 instead of August of last year.
Make Content Easily Searchable
When creating posts, make sure you use relevant keywords in meta tags, which is good for SEO purposes. Always organize your content by topics and sub-topics. This will improve the visibility of your posts and increase traffic.
Review Your Posts Regularly
Review your posts regularly—weekly, monthly, or quarterly. This will help you how your posts are performing and learn what visitors are liking the most.
- Check Google Analytics to know the posts with low and high page views. Note down the titles of old posts, refresh and update them, and repost them.
- Check links in your posts to determine the link quality
- Do comprehensive research, add relevant keywords, link old posts with newer ones
- Delete posts, which are outdated, irrelevant and damaging your brand image
Blogging is a great way to attract new visitors, increase the traffic of your site, and boost sales. When you working on getting the most value of your posts, the main challenge is to keep your posts new and searchable.
Instead of deleting old posts, updating them with fresh content can help in getting more visitors to your blog. If possible, create evergreen posts, focusing on the subjects that don’t change over time.
Organic search plays an important role in traffic generation. Even if your posts are designed for lead generation, the number of visitors on your blog put great effects on content success. It’s good to track the performance of your posts through Google Analytics and update them regularly. This way, you can learn what your audience is liking the most and what areas you should focus more on.
Additionally, keeping an eye on organic ranking, whether your posts are getting listed on the top search results on specific keywords is important. Search for relevant keywords, and consider adding them in your posts to increase site traffic.
Struggling to design an effective content marketing strategy? Contact a reputed Abbotsford marketing & Abbotsford web design agency.